Friday, February 8, 2008

Choose Wisely

Alright I will admit it. I'm an unabashed Obama supporter-a hope monger, Obamerican, on the O-train, fired up and ready to go. I voted for him already here in California, have talked to many people about him, volunteered at events, attended house parties and joined in on the blogs. I have a number of reasons as to why I support him-feel free to use these as well if you are a fellow supporter. If you are not a supporter or are undecided -please consider my reasons.

1. He was against the Iraq war from the start-He really was against the War even when he was not in a position to vote yeah or ne. How many people do you know that would stand up for an unpopular but moral and valid decision? He made the right call and at a time when he could have done in his political career even before it started.

2. He brings people together from all sides. He is the true "uniter." Obama has shown over and over his broad appeal among people of all political backgrounds. Isn't it time to bring people together and actually get something constructive done in government?

3. He makes sense and he gets it. He knows what the average person has been through and what they have been up against. When you look at where he stands on issues and how he wants to go about change-it makes sense. Gee..real life solutions and ideas to solve real life problems-how novel.

4. He inspires us. Yeah he is inspiring, and what is wrong with that? People make comments from time to time about hope-but you need to realize something. Hope is the first step in getting anything done-you need HOPE coupled with BELIEF to give you the MOTIVATION and DRIVE to get things DONE.

5. He asks us to do this together. So not only do we feel good but we now want to be involved in the political process. I said myself that this was my first campaign to be involved with-and Im not the only one. This campaign is OUR campaign-and let me tell you it is very empowering to be a part of. We know it will be hard and a lot of work-but growth and change always are.

6. He respects us and values us. Listen to his speeches and how he communicates with the crowds. He never talks down to anyone. He never lectures to you but instead takes a real and genuine approach to the people he talks to.

7. He is trustworthy and genuine. These are two characteristics that we need in our next President. I trust him and all his grassroot work. I trust his judgement and ability to make a clear choice and not pander. I trust him to keep us involved in this process. I trust him to move us and this country forward.

8. His experience...experience?! Yep, but it's the right kind of experience. He knows the political games and he can recognize them for what they are. He knows there is a better way to bring people to a table and have a real honest discussion on how to bring about health care for everyone. He knows you have to talk to everyone-even your so-called enemies. He knows you have to work together beyond labels and titles. ...and he is not afraid to do this.

9. He can win. Ok my last point..and an apology to any Republicans reading this. But it is true..Obama can beat the Republican candidate (either of them). Due to a lot of the reasons I just mentioned and a whole lot more...

So my fellow Dems what are you waiting for? For all those who have yet to vote or caucus, I ask you to choose wisely. For Independents I ask that you keep that open mind and look at Obama-he is the most unique choice..and for the Republicans..come on over-if only just this once. You have to admit he makes sense and ask yourself when was the last time you felt this good to vote or caucus?

Obama is the right choice from both a thought-based and informed gut perspective.

No comments: