Wednesday, March 5, 2008

The Politics of Realness Vs Smoke and Fears

Here we go again.

I find it so interesting to watch these two Democratic candidates and how they are running their campaigns. I keep trying to imagine that I have not picked my candidate to see them both again fresh and new. I want to imagine what a person from Wyoming or Pennsylvania will see in the weeks to come. I keep trying and I keep coming up with the same conclusion...taking the whole change vs. experience argument to the side, or the whole vetted and tested (whatever that means-does that mean she had all her vaccinations?)vs new ideas and sound judgement argument...I'm left with two candidates who really have different approaches and characters.

When I hear Senator Clinton-I hear a shrill message of negative cutting remarks (xerox change?), shady rhetoric and bold assertions that really smack of hubris. She always seems angry and keeps speaking about being a fighter (I thought we need to heal the country?). Her campaign has been all over the place in terms of messages and strategies (If you can't run your campaign..how can you run the country?). What about all the in-fighting within her campaign? I think the people that you surround yourself with and who are attracted to your cause, say a lot about you.

When I hear Senator Obama-I hear a new and fresh voice that echoes the best of us and what we would dare to do. He is such a class act and a gentlemen (something that would not hurt to bring back to the White House). Yes he is young and I do see how that could cause people to pause...until you look at his background of working to unite and create real change. He has new approaches and ideas to solving old problems. After all the heart-breaking misery of the last 7 years-it will take a President who is both inspirational and has the sound judgement to help us grow and come together. His plans make sense and his words are genuine..sure he stumbles and stutters (but I do not think those answers are rehearsed).

Never before has an election been for and about us..until now. I want my President to be grounded in reality with a positive eye on the future. A President who knows it will be tough but is ready for the challenge with the right people and the right real judgement. Someone who has made the right decisions and not pandered or bowed to popularity; but instead used clarity of thought and common sense. In fact Senator Obama is the only one who has been consistent with his message and has run a well organized and team-oriented, grassroots campaign....from day one.

1 comment:

Linda K. said...

His election machine is incredible. It matches his message. Togetherness. Working together. Being on the "right" side of things even if there is a burden to some. I truly hope he is our candidate. More than ever before, people are coming out and actually VOTING!!! Thanks in most part to him.